Overuse


madwoman in the attic
Originally uploaded by *raffaella.
Having moved to a new project, involving a new system and technology, I have also gotten myself a new project manager. It's widely known that he's not a very popular person in the office, but that's not my complaint.... yet. He irritates me. To be more specific, his overuse of a certain word, *REALLY* irritates me. Let me now unveil that evil word:

Per se

I for one don't really know what the correct usage of that word is, but something's definitely not right if nearly every single sentence that comes out of his mouth during meetings includes that word. I flinch each time I hear it. If one ringgit is credited into my account each time he says it, I'd be a rich man. Comment a sample sentence. Thanks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
ehem….According to Dictionary of Contemporary English by Longman, New edition, pg 766, per se is an adv from Latin word which mean: consider alone and not in connection with other things, or by itself (in the slang of professional ) Haha…

Example: It’s a very beautiful piece of furniture per se, but it doesn’t go with the rest o
the room.

Per se also can be used as a preposition which equivalent to “PER” ....

huh..... after seeing all these explanation, WTF he use it in every sentences? Doesnt sounds right... For me is just like "wah sei" or "Wah lou ye"!! I hate those common "pet phrase" (pls forgive me of that)
Anonymous said…
trust me.. soem people jsut love finishing their sentences with phrases like.. "if you know what i mean...".. or "really meh?!... I hate those..
I'm guessing the idiot looks like an apek and is probably trying to sound educated by using the phrase. Enough said, he's a pain and you're not..
Anonymous said…
funny lah like dat
William said…
@Mel:
The guy is just 30, but very licik. Thanks for saying I'm not a pain. Hoho.

@Nina:
I have learned to ignore it.

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho